Wednesday, January 12, 2011

I've skirted around posting a blogi for long enough, so hello and greetings from Hyderabad! Here I am having an 'indian' winter and it's been three and a half weeks and a sloppy decade turned over since I left the strange familiar for more strange familiar. It;s been enough time for me to loosen the stares of people on the street like I first fidgeted with when arriving, even my own face so grated against fluorescent lights and ear flies. I'm going to get sore from this but here's some of that chalk full description I daydreamed I already told all y'all: the campus is long wide and green and all our new buildings look like props like you'll think you can just walk behind them and see a cardboard plank holding up the whole production, bear with me, and from the handful of people i'm getting to know and feel of course romantically for because there's this special particular time-place business, today I saw a kingfisher bird so so incredible, I'm taking classes on diaspora and migration and sociology of muslim communities, and we came in the heat of some local political tension concerning the formation of Telangana state, and went to a performance of 100 snake charmers and yes we contaminated it with "this is made for the english man's pleasure" and "having orientalist charisma" but still we enjoyed it, meaning the mapping of this trip is going to be engaging with something I aint done since living in the Dutta house coupled with some kind of personal famine but my, my the most ddddiiivvversssityyy I ever perceived (ill-literally). One of the first days when I arrived and was having difficulty adjusting I thought of this 5:30am encouragement from anthropology of place: when I encounter the 'other' [sic], I really encounter me more. here it is like all fermentation projects, spread spread spreadling but with no starting point and *oh*my*god* I haven't had this much deja vu in years. It feels so good to play!

1 comment:

  1. giiiirrrrrlll where your posts at?

    we got new chickenz! dinosaur bearded chickens! mary claire and I want to name one The Bearded Lady. joey already named one Vera. hopefully they will survive for you to meet them!

    I hope you are having fun and deconstructing EVERYTHING!!!!^&%&%^$#(*&

    love, daner

    ReplyDelete